Author Topic: Richmond game  (Read 2503 times)

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Richmond game
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:40:48 PM »
Well it goes without saying, we need to win this!

Justin

• View Profile
Re: Richmond game
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
Going really well so far: 15-0 down after 15 mins.

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
22-0 down. Seriously, what the hell is going on?

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
22-7. Took 79 minutes to get some points in the board. Richmond may not be the whipping boys of the early season but this is completely unacceptable.

Keen fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
Agree, what is going on ?
Where is the leadership on and off the field? I can't detect any.
Same as last year, only worse. We pass into the New Year, results drain away. Co-incidentally at the same time contracts are being discussed. Should be the same pride no matter what.
Draw your own conclusions but Management and Players should be standing up to be counted.
Presently we're rowing backwards.

topps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
Shocking loss at Richmond . Worst performence EVER for NRFC

Pastie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »
As i have said before , no structure and no game plan , They both come from the coaching team !! Costello is out of his depth , Folkes has lost his edge and o'dowd clueless  !!   If this is not changed by next season we will be  fighting for survival .. IMO .

wag67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
Pastie I couldn't agree more. Haven't rated Costello from day one.

maire23

• Green and white- the best colours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »
Pastie I couldn't agree more. Haven't rated Costello from day one.
Thank goodness that I'm not the only one..!!!
Maire 😊
Proud to be Irish 💚
Nottingham agus Éire rugby- an meascán is fearr ! Fáilte leaids Éireannacha .

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »
Before Christmas things seemed to be heading in the right direction, we had sneaked into the top 4 and we were playing pretty well. However, since then we have fallen away badly. We start every game really slowly and always find ourselves a couple of tries down but the issue over the last few weeks is that we haven't looked like getting back into these games. The structure has gone and with that our confidence. Last week against Donny we looked clueless in attack until eventually we had a handling error. I didn't see today's game but the score line tells its own story, 22-0 down until the 79th minute. Come one?! Sadly I felt like I could have predicted that before the game. What has gone wrong? We clearly have some good players as we have played some good stuff but there as never any consistency. They are a young team but don't appear to be learning any lessons. With regard to the coaching team I will withhold judgement as they haven't even been at the club a year and this isn't football. Make no mistake though, we can not perform like this until the end of the season.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:49:31 PM by beak »

Uncle Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
Over the last few years it has been sad to watch the decline at Nottingham. From the comparative comfort of Meadow Lane to watching games at Lady Bay could not be a bigger contrast. Similarly the proven quality of the playing staff has gone into a steady decline. Consider the riches Glenn had and the money that was available to him to employ mature ex premiership and international players. Look also at the supply of quality players from Leicester and elsewhere, Arlidge, Youngs, Cole, Twelvetrees, Smith, Corbeisero, Wilson etc. Also look at the players picked up from other championship clubs, the influx from Plymouth for example, and Leicester discards who played here then moved on to the premiership. Even then Nottingham failed to make regular appearances in the playoffs and made no real impression when they got there. Now look at the present squad and there is, with the utmost respect, no real comparison. Losing Monty, Grant and last year's 10 were major blows and there has just not been the finance to replace them. This season without the use of Trent Uni players we would really have been struggling. Trent do not even play at the top level of university rugby! The situation goes far beyond coaching. In fact I believe that keeping Nottingham in the Championship is a major coaching achievement. Remember this very young team, inspired by the coaching staff, were 4th at the half way stage of the season but it did not take a rugby genius to work out that this very young team would run out of steam as they tired and the heavy pitches and injuries took their toll. I just hope that the coaches find a way to ensure next season's survival on another shoestring and with such limited resources. Alternatively we hope, without malice,  for even worse luck for others, Plymouth, Moseley and Welsh for example in recent years.

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
I think you have hit the nail on the head there. We simple have not replaced Monty, Wilson, Grant and Mugford. All leaders on the field that you can build a team around. No doubt the budget has prevented that and hence when the going has got a little tough, we have struggled.

maire23

• Green and white- the best colours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »
I was watching a match I found on my Sky planner from a few seasons ago and I was just thinking that we could do with some of those players now..!!
Maire 😊
Proud to be Irish 💚
Nottingham agus Éire rugby- an meascán is fearr ! Fáilte leaids Éireannacha .

Tango Alpha 2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »
Another dispiriting defeat at a wet & windy RAG. This week the tries conceded did not come from the opposition battering over after intense pressure, but with too much ease & too much assistance from us.
An early pen made it 3-0 we then had the better of the opening 10 minutes including getting within a yard of the line. A somewhat farcical try was then conceded: Lyons caught a kick, but there was then a coming together of him & Cobden & their winger picked up the loose ball & skipped over from 30 yards. Cobden off injured 8-0.
Five minutes later it was 15-0 & Hall off in considerable distress as they cut through with some ease.
We were putting no pressure on their line as knock on followed knock on & the only possible chance to take a 3 was spurned for the early chance we did not quite take.
On 35 as we were trying to work our way back into the game we conceded an interception try on halfway. I’m heartily sick of seeing us concede interception tries on this ground. We should put some depth on our passes. The move came from a scrum which itself was awarded when another attempted interception didn’t quite come off. HT 22-0.
We actually won the 2nd ½ 7-0 as they were not able to create anything & were gifted nothing. However it took us until the 72nd minute to get into their 22 as we had the better of the last 10, this partly because our replacement 2nd row was better than theirs. Murray Mc. broke clean through from close range. He had earlier been binned I suspect for a comment about some unsympathetic refereeing.
The standouts were Worth who lived up to his name & Darryl who was one of the early subs.
Our season is now like a slow bicycle puncture – the lads are still pedalling hard but the go-forward is missing. The demise of the C’ney Taffs has had an unfortunate by product for us in that all our opposition now get a week off after playing us & are able to hell for leather for the 80 minutes.
Next up Bedford & a chance to complete a double. Both teams will be eyeing this up as a possible win.

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »
Defeat is part and parcel of sport. Although we can hope they win every game they play, it is just not going to happen. However, it is the manner in which they are losing.
No selection continuity - injuries removed from that factor.
Lessons aren't being learnt; the same mistakes are being made.
LOTS of positive talk; not backed up on the pitch.
There was a paragraph at the end of the TJ going to Wasps article that indicated that player re-signing AND new signings were to start being announced in the coming days.