Author Topic: Not quite vintage  (Read 1384 times)

Nottinghamrugbymad

• View Profile
Not quite vintage
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
Have we had a season in the Championship with less than 6 wins before?
If only Nottingham was in Wales it would be perfect

Nottinghamrugbymad

• View Profile
Re: Not quite vintage
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
Ah yes, I forgot statbunker, once in 13/14 when we only won 5. That was the season after Glen left if I recall correctly.
End of term report (almost) must try harder.
If only Nottingham was in Wales it would be perfect

Rugby Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »
Costello was talking top four at the start of the season!
9th above Richmond and Rotherham would put most Coaches under pressure for their position.
Since the outburst after the London Irish game I've been unimpressed by his man management of the squad.
I believe he has underestimated the level of The Championship.
Martin Haag never undermined his players and consistently produced results!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:36:21 PM by Rugby Fan »

Uncle Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
Please see the post before yours as at the end of his first season many were calling for Haag's head too. To quote Nigel Owens, this is not football so let's see what the man achieves after a full season, especially when he has been in charge for a preseason too.

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
I couldn't agree more Uncle Bob. With players we have singed and the players we are keeping we should be stronger next season. It was Costello's first year in English rugby and he has had to adapt but the players clearly like him. With the experience gained this year, next season should be a lot more fruitful.

Proper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
I notice Costello and our 4 Irish players only have contracts to the end of next season. Could be a disaster for us if they all want to return to the land of Guiness in a year's time.

I've looked regularly for statbunker to get their facts correct but they are still showing London Welsh in the Championship table !

Pastie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:21 PM »
I'll second that Rugby Fan !!  Costello was in charge of pre- season this season !  Do the players clearly like him ?  Just after he arrived ( Costello ) he applied for Lam's role but was unsuccesful , so this man will be gone if something else pops up !!     I hope i'm wrong as i think NRFC is a great place to be but it'll be a bottom four next season as long as he's in charge !!

Uncle Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:26:13 PM »
Costello was not in charge of arranging preseason! He arrived too late to arrange preseason fixtures and we had to take what we could find. He also did not arrive until preseason was well underway. It is true that he could well be off if he is offered something with better prospects, just like his 2 predecessors did and many of our players have done over the years. The professional rugby world.

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:44:48 PM »
I go on the basis that most players wanted to re-sign. They wouldn't if they weren't happy. One season is not enough to judge a coach. We have been lucky over the last few years to have punched above our weight so our goal should always be to stay up and financially break even. Anything on top is a bonus.

Pastie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 10:06:48 PM »
I didn't say costello was in charge of arranging pre-season , i said , he was in charge of pre- season , to which he was !!  Neil Fowkes could of been entrusted to arrange pre-season games he's more than capeable .   Of course are goal is to stay in the champ and be financially sound but staying there will be a challange with this guy in charge !!

Pastie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 11:19:25 PM »
There's nothing to disagree with really as i didn't say they didn't respect the coach , i was asking a question of beaks statement , Do they really like him ! Ref : the other coaches , as i' ve stated in earlier post we lack a backs coach and Fowkes needs to man up and find his bite like he used to have , under Haag , Fowkes had are forwards with fire in there belly and a  hard edge , whats happened !! He was up there as one of the best forward coaches in the champ , not at the moment i'm affraid .

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »
When I said the players clearly like him, I didnt mean they thought he was a nice chap, I meant they must think he is a good coach and respect him.

Pastie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Some players rate him some don't ,no  player in there right mind is going to tell , a fan / supporter anything else , than that , he's great !!   IMO the sooner he's gone the better .

beak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
Well it is clear the majority do hence why they are staying. It is more than fair that he gets a second season to prove what he can do. Nottingham have been successful by backing their coach and not acting like a football club and sacking him at the first opportunity. It has not been a vintage season but there has been flashes of serious potential so let's get behind them and see what next season brings.

Uncle Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
Costello was appointed at the end of april last year. The preseason starts way before that in terms of players coming and going, preseason fixtures, appointment of support staff and planning of preseason fitness and playing sessions etc. Costello did not take hands on control until later than that. That explains some of the preseason problems, the preseason fixture planning for example and the late struggle to replace in particular our previous vitally important 8, 10,  lock and captain. Usually matters like that are sorted much earlier. This year Costello has the  chance to set his own stamp on that full preseason and he can be better judged on that. The club did not even have a full coaching staff in place to prepare for the season as Alex O'Dowd was appointed some time later and an awful lot fell on Fowkes' shoulders, as well as helping two newcomers to the Club and the country to settle in. Maybe not the best planning but nothing to do with Costello's abilities as a coach.